Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Handpainted Chair



Since I've moved to the lake my home decorating style is more beachy and airy, simple and clean. 
Less is more.
But there is still a part of me that loves the cozy folkart, "more is more".
There is something about the rich, warm layered colors that say "home".


Layering paint colors can add lots of dimension to a piece.

Black + Orange = Rich Espresso Brown.
Watch this:


Paint brush dipped in glaze
Then one side in black and the other side in orange.




Brush over a solid brown base.




Use a crossing figure 8 like motion.


Blending until you soften the edges a bit.



You can see the depth of color in the brush stroke.
You could paint an entire piece with this technique using a larger brush.




Here are some other colors used on the chair:





Besides the Black and Orange,
Use Black and Metallic Copper and you will get the same dimension with
a beautiful shimmer.

So if you, my painting friends,
are in a
"more is more" mood
go for the layered look.




Thanks for stopping by! 

1 comment:

Art and Sand said...

I am in love with that chair. It totally fits my decorating style.