Sunday, September 9, 2012

Black and White Striped Tray

It's the season for Flea Markets!
Seems like when I go,
I'm drawn to wooden trays, and bowls.
I didn't realize I collected them
until I started building a stash.
So it's time to dive in and get started on some
so I can go buy more!

I got this one at a flea market for one dollar.
Ahh...the simple pleasures.


It doesn't look like that anymore...



Now it's a nice graphic accent with the bold black and white stripes.
But I didn't stop there.
I wanted it to have a bit of a nautical feel.
So here's what I did.

I drilled a hole large enough to slide a notebook ring through.



Then I drilled another circle on top of that with a spade bit
just deep enough to recess a washer.




Paint Next.
I used white and black semi-gloss
and ran a dry brush of black around the edges.
I also used a dry brush of white over the black.
Now it has a slightly worn look.



Using some tacky glue
set the washer in the recessed circle.
Run the notebook ring through the circle and close.
You will have four of these for the handle anchors.



Here are some more supplies
that I used for the rope handles.


Using about 2 ft. of  the braiding cord,
I made a tight loop around the rope
near the ring.
Make sure to leave extra string
to tie off at the end of the wrap.




Continue wrapping and tie off at the end.



I think it's a fun mix of elements:

Graphic black and white modern with some worn wear
(even a little chalkboardish)

A tiny bit of bling with the hardware washer
and office supply notebook ring.

Then a dose of rough texture
with the manilla rope.









I have several ideas for my new tray.

You might see it soon in a Halloween display.

Also, I like the idea of hanging it in a grouping on the wall.

For now, I can even use it for
my limeade service.



Love my Limeades.
Hope you do too!

1 tsp. grenadine
2 lime slices squeezed
1 can diet ginerale
LOTS of ice.

Enjoy!




Linking to:  Get Your DIY On

 

Monday:        DIY Showoff
                             Craftomaniac
                             Sumos Sweet Stuff
                             I should be Mopping the Floor
                             Boogieboard Cottage
                             Southern Hospitality
                             The Dedicated House
                             Between Naps on the Porch

Tuesday:       Coastal Charm
                     Home Stories A to Z
                     My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                     Style Sisters
                     Elizabeth & Co.

Wednesday:  Savvy Southern Style

Thursday:      The 36th Avenue
                      The Shabby Creek Cottage
                      Beyond the Picket Fence
                      Blissful Rhythm
                      Embracing Change
                      House of Hepworths
                      Delightful Order
                      A Glimpse Inside
                      Stone Gable

Friday:           At the Picket Fence
                      The Shabby Nest
                      Redoux Interiors
         
Saturday:       Cheerios and Lattes
                       Tatertots and Jello
                       Funky Junk Interiors
                       Too Much Time on My Hands
                            


28 comments:

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Trays are something I always like to stash as well--haven't found any for a while, though, for some reason! Love the stripes on yours!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

That is so fresh and adds a great punch to the decor. Just love the touches you added. How clever!
Liz

Cindy The Victorian Journey said...

What a great transformation... You never know what us crafty ones will come up with. Great Job... Hugs, Cindy

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest tray! I love the texture effects in the way you painted, beautiful with a homemade yet professional look....perfect!

Courtney said...

you had me at black and white striped!! such a cool, cool idea Deb!! I love how you dry bushed over with the opposite color to give it that unique look, so clever! i want one!! x

Deb Hrabik said...

Something about that contrast draws me right in too! I've been wondering about painting a piece of furniture white and black hmmm.
Thanks!
Deb

Twice Nice said...

That's a fabulous way to add handles to your tray! Love it, and I'm trying that limeade recipe soon...Sonic's limeades are a paticular weakness of mine!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

The rope handles are AWESOME!

Good job!

Redfly Classroom said...

Great idea! Way to think outside of the box. I love the rope handles and the wide stripes.

Melissa
redflycreations.blogspot.com

20 North Ora said...

Deb - Cute, cute, cute idea.

Judy

The Style Sisters said...

This is just too cute! I love the handles! Come link up to Centerpiece wednesday on my blog (tomorrow it will be up early) and share this idea with us.

Karin

Unknown said...

This is adorable!!! Luv the graphic stripes.
New follower. Found you on Style Sisters.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Gee

Ada (new york) said...

I love love love the rope handles ... genius!

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

You had me at stripes! I love this tray it looks fantastic. I like how you put your own handles on it too, very clever :)

Brandi said...

Great makeover. I love the stripes.

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

love your little tray and your rope handles. I am going to feature in my weekly wow's on Saturday!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you, Laura!
I will look forward to it!
Deb

Debbie {Visual Eye Candy} said...

I love how you turned something that was not so cute into something you could actually buy at a retail store! It turned out great!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Cute--I love the handle, great touch.

Unknown said...

What a great transformation - love the handles!

Stacey said...

Awesome makeover! I love the stripes, the black and white and the handles rock!

Now I am off to the basement to see what I can makeover - yours has inspired me!

Thanks for linking up this week!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Unknown said...

It's party time at Debt Free Mommy Blog and we'd love to see you there! Please come join us and link up to Making Space Mondays. We'd love to see any post(s) about making your spaces better. Thanks, Tabitha

Babs said...

Great tutorial and I love your tray. I've gotta try your Limeade. It sounds so refreshing.
Babs

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love trays and this one is chock full of charm!

Good Time Charlie said...

This is the best idea I have seen in trays! I am pinning this and sharing tomorrow at my party. So cute!

Deb Hrabik said...

That made my day!
Big Thank you,
Deb

Abby Lawson said...

CUTE!! What an awesome transformation! I love that you added the rope--great touch! Thanks so much for sharing this at Get Your DIY On! Hope to see you on Sunday with your spray paint projects! Have a wonderful day!

~Abby =)

Krista Aasen said...

Love this Deb!! I featured you tonight for the Get Your DIY On Challenge: Thrifted Upcycled Finds - would love you to hop over and grab your button at the happy housie and bring along a spray paint project if you have one:)